Staying on top of new medication therapy options for your consumers living with opioid use disorder (OUD) can be difficult. Learn how the new FDA-approved medication, Brixadi®, can help support the people you serve.
Overview on Brixadi®
- Brixadi® is an extended-release form of buprenorphine (an FDA-approved medication used to treat OUD that can be prescribed in physician offices) that continuously releases and sustains medicine levels throughout the month. It’s indicated for the treatment of moderate to severe OUD in patients who have initiated treatment with a single dose of transmucosal buprenorphine product or who are already being treated with buprenorphine.
How to offer and administer
- Brixadi® is part of a Risk Evaluation and Mitigation Strategies (REMS) program, meaning that only certain pharmacies can dispense the medication directly to a healthcare provider. Brixadi®can only be delivered to a prescriber’s DEA-registered address and may not be dispensed by a pharmacy directly to a patient. Genoa has over 100 locations certified to dispense Brixadi®. Connect with your local pharmacy team to learn more.
- Brixadi® is injected subcutaneously into the subcutaneous tissue of the buttock, thigh, abdomen or upper arm. It is available as a pre-filled single-dose syringe with a 23-gauge ½ inch needle with an injection volume less than or equal to 0.64 mL.
- Brixadi® does not need to be refrigerated and can be stored at room temperate at 68 F to 77 F with excursions permitted at 59 F and 86 F.
Barriers to receiving care
- Insurance/prior authorization: Brixadi® is still being added to formularies. Your Genoa pharmacy team can assist with determining insurance coverage for Brixadi® and can help with any prior authorizations that may be required.
- New treatment option: As a new medication, providers may not be familiar with the product and available dosing options for Brixadi®. The Genoa pharmacy team can assist in educating your staff on how to offer Brixadi® as a treatment option for the people you serve.
Connect with your local pharmacy team to learn more or fill out the form below and we’ll be in touch.
Interested in learning more?
Curious how Brixadi® or medication-assisted treatment can help support your patients living with OUD? Contact us today and we’ll be in touch.
"*" indicates required fields
1: For information on Brixadi® prescirbing information: BRIXADI Prescribing Information (brixadihcp.com)
2. For general information on Brixadi®: BRIXADI® (buprenorphine) injection for subcutaneous use is now available! (brixadihcp.com)